2021 JRG Emerging Artist Award
Canada wide call for emerging artists with disabilities.
ABOUT THE GRANT
This grant aims to sponsor artists with disabilities in preparing and presenting artwork across a variety of disciplines. The grant to be awarded for 2021will be between $3,000 and $3,500, which will be distributed to one successful applicant.
For the 2021 iteration of the JRG Grant, applicants must:
• Be an emerging artist
• Identify as a person with a disability/disabilities
• Be seeking funds in support of developing and/or presenting an artistic project
• Reside in Canada
Projects can be in any artistic discipline (i.e. filmmaking, visual art, theatre, dance, writing, etc). Applicants who are not successful may re-apply in future years.
We welcome and encourage applications from artists with disabilities who experience multiple structural barriers to resources and artistic development opportunities, i.e. women; transgender and non-binary artists; Indigenous artists; Black artists; artists of colour; queer artists, low-income, poor, and working-class artists, etc.
The grant will fund any costs related to the development and/or presentation of an artistic work, including sustenance for applicant, materials, fees to collaborating artists, and production/exhibition costs.
This grant is not intended to be a scholarship for artistic studies or professional development training.
Applications will be assessed by a small committee of disability-identified artists. Applications will be assessed based on the following criteria:
• The application meets all eligibility requirements
• Viability: the artist has established a clear and viable work schedule/process
• Impact: the potential impact of the project for the applicant’s own artistic development,
• Impact of the project for the wider community. Does the project bring new perspectives and underrepresented stories to light
The recipient of the JRG Grant for Artists with Disabilities must acknowledge support from The JRG Society For The Arts on materials and publications relating to the project.